Established in 1997 ©
Ad Submission
Hotels   Maps   Real Estate   Nightlife
login   register  
SmartFAQ is developed by The SmartFactory (, a division of InBox Solutions (

What are ownership types of land titles in Thailand?
Requested and Answered by Authority on 05-Mar-2009 11:45 (9779 reads)
The system is that, for much of the land and property here, a Land Title Deed is the legal certificate of land ownership. This certificate can be used as evidence that one owns the land and property or has the right to use or has used the land. Global positioning satellites are used to set the boundaries of the land. However much land in Thailand is not titled, or even surveyed accurately . Land disputes are not uncommon even where previous land ownership titles have been granted. We recommend that you use professional land title companies if you are buying bare land anywhere in Thailand.

Forms of Land Title
Ownership of land, possession and use are governed by the land Code BE 2497 (1954), the Land Reform for Agricultural Act BE 2518 (1975), the Civic and Commercial Code and by regulations issued by the Ministry of the Interior.

Land may be acquired by sales, hire-purchase, gift, inheritance or adverse possession. A sale of land must be made by a written document and must be registered by the Land Department Office to be effective.

There are broadly 4 types of Land Title in Thailand, they being Title Deeds (Chanote), Confirmed Certificate of Use (Nor Sor Saam Kor), Certificate of Use (Ngor Sor Saam) and Certificate of Possession (Sor Kor Nung) are common evidence of land ownership, possessory rights and other interests in land. An explaination of each follows.

Chanote (Title Deeds)
Freehold title with the owner able to leave the land unattended. Title deeds are registered at the Land Department in the province in which the land is located, and there is no wating time required to transfer title. Chanote titles are accurately surveyed, plotted in relation to a national survey grid and also marked by unique numbered marker posts set in the ground. It is the long term goal of the Land Department, that all land in Thailand will be covered under the Chanote title system..

Nor Sor Saam Kor (Confirmed Certificate of Use)
This certifies that the person named on the certificate has the confirmed right to use the land, implying all requirements for the issuance of title deed have been met, and issuance of the title deed is pending. They may be sold, leased, used as mortgage collateral etc. The holder of this certificate cannot leave the land unattended for more than 12 years.

The Chanoted and the Nor. Sor. Sam. Kor. Are the only titles over which registerable right of ownership or lease can exist, and are as such the only ones that a prudent foreigner should consider.

Nor Sor Sam (Certificate of Use)
Similar to the above Confirmed Certificate of Use except that not all of the formalities to certify the right to use have been performed. Before a transfer can be made, a notice of intent must be posted and then 30 days public notice is necessary before any change of status over the land can be registered.

Sor Kor Nung (Certificate of Possession)
This recognise that a person is in possession of land but the Certificate does not imply that there are any rights associated which the possession. It is not transferable, but a person in possession may transfer physical possession and the new possessor may apply for a new Certificate of Possession.

The comments are owned by the poster. We aren't responsible for their content.
Recommended Books & Media
Premium Banner - Asian Beauties
Pattaya Photo Album
pattaya_city_nongnooch (53).jpg
Related Links
FREE Advertising R
Thai Baht Exchange Rate